I’ve added a new page to Crowded Earth Kitchen called “Kitchen Gadget Links“, where I’ll share just a few of my favorite kitchen gadgets with you. Here’s a sneak peek. I’m pretty frugal and very low tech in my kitchen… you won’t find anything crazy-expensive or complicated here, just “old standbys” that I use often and highly recommend!
1) CANNING SUPPLIES. Cooks who learn to preserve food through simple, hot water bath canning save more money than cooks who don’t. Investing in a few basic canning supplies will pay off quickly!
2) A STOCKPOT. You can get away with saucepans and little one-quart pots when you’re living on ramen noodles and macaroni and cheese, but when you get serious about cooking, you need a stockpot. Yes, you do.
3) AN IMMERSION BLENDER. I resisted this for a while, and tried ladling soup back and forth from a stockpot to a standing blender. The first time I burned myself, I stopped being (quite so) cheap and bought an immersion blender.
4) A BUNDT PAN. I don’t have a huge assortment of baking pans, but I do love my Bundt pan. I use it for everything from delicious, light sponge cakes to decadent pecan rolls. The shape looks fancy – anything baked in a Bundt pan makes a great buffet centerpiece!
5) A FRENCH PRESS COFFEE MAKER. Best… coffee… ever! Just add coffee grounds and boiling water – this couldn’t be any easier. It works with tea leaves, as well.
6) INDIVIDUAL RAMEKIN DISHES. These are great for serving appetizers and desserts.
There you have it… a short list of Crowded Earth Kitchen favorites! What’s your favorite gadget in your kitchen? Feel free to comment below!